Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The New Avengers: Bendis and Yu

I don't really have much time to post today, but I was talking to my friend Anthony yesterday, and I was telling him how much I was enjoying Marvel's "New Avengers", so I figured I'd break it down for you a little bit.

Post-Civil War, this book has been getting steadily more interesting, and with Leinil Francis Yu on the pencils, it is also looking fantastic. The new line-up of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Ronin, Spider-Woman and Echo may seem a little odd at first, but there's a great mix of personalities there and for me, at least, it's fun to see them interact.

Brian Michael Bendis has been on the Avengers books for a few years, and though he's had a few slow points, as a whole I've enjoyed his run. He's swinging the title around to pick up some of the plots that he had introduced at the start of New Avengers, and in the latest issue, he brought back a fan favorite character in Clint Barton (better known as Hawkeye) and sprinkled in some conspiracy theories. I'm nicely hooked, and that's without mentioning the fact that Bendis writes a better Spidey than most.

Leinil Yu has long been a favorite of mine, back from his work on Wolverine and the X-Men, but on the New Avengers, he has really loosened up his style and it looks wonderful. He's still keeping it gritty and dark, but his poses and expressions are just a little bit more exaggerated, and it work really well for the tone of this title.

All in all, his book is giving Astonishing X-Men a run for my favorite Marvel book.

No comments: